Things that make me happy

I decided to make a list of things that make me happy. Then whenever I am feeling down I can go to this list. These are not in any particular order.

1. Playing piano duets with my hubby. We have a book of Christmas duets and I think it is so fun to play together.

2. Having lunch with Aubree. She is my least picky child and is willing to go wherever and share whatever with me. Some of our favorites... Zupas, Cafe Rio, Good Wood BBQ. She has never been to Olive Garden, so I need to take her there sometime.

3. Giving Tyler girl advice. Yes, I think this is fun. We are up to speed on who likes who and what the latest jr high scoop is. It is fun to talk about how crazy girls are at this age.

4. Cuddling and tickling Caleb. I am sad that even my baby is getting to the point where he doesn't want kisses anymore. I still kiss him anyway and then he just gets mad. Instead I resort to holding him and tickling him so he doesn't notice the few kisses I sneak on his cheeks and forehead. (Do you know what I've realized that I miss? The smell of Cheerios on a little toddler's cheeks. I know that sounds weird. Does anyone know what I mean?)

5. Watching Marcus practice the piano. He plays with such vim and vigor. Sometimes he stops and looks around and lets distraction take over, but when he is focused... man, he is really focused. He plays with his heart and I love to watch him. In fact, I really love watching all of my kids practice their instruments.

6. Watching my kids play sports -- Tyler playing basketball, Marcus and Caleb playing basketball and baseball, Aubree dancing.

7. Driving to the airport when you are leaving for a trip. Oh, that is my favorite thing! I love the anticipation of the trip ahead. There is something so exciting about pulling up to the drop-off curb at the Salt Lake International Airport.

8. Sitting in Sacrament Meeting next to my husband in his suit. Seriously, I LOVE that! First of all he looks hot. Second of all, it just feels good to be there.

9. Hanging out with my siblings. I love, love, love my siblings and parents. (On both sides.) It is so fun to be with them and compete for conversation time. Ha ha! (My side of the family, not Matt's.)

10. Sitting in a City meeting. Okay, now this sounds really sick to most people, but I really love to be involved in my City. It really isn't as fun as playing a game with my family or going on a trip, but it is definitely more fun than going shopping, watching T.V., or having surgery.

11. Putting the kids to bed, getting a bowl of ice cream, pulling out a warm blanket from the cupboard and turning on "Survivor." This is a serious hobby that Matt and I have together. We have not missed a single episode of any season except the very first one. I think there has been like 14 seasons, too. ("Do you want to know what you are playing for?" - Jeff Probst)

12. Seeing beautiful flowers on my kitchen table. Honestly, I remember telling Matt when we first got married never to buy me flowers. "What an utter waste of money," I told him. Well, here we are... 16 years later, and the older I get, the more I love fresh flowers. Matt knows my favorite ones, too -- red roses with star gazer lilies. The same ones from my wedding bouquet.

13. A clean house. Yep, I am a sucker for orderly and clean. Luckily I am more into "orderly" than I am "clean," so I don't waste a lot of time scrubbing day in and day out. I just like the clutter to be gone.

14. Playing the piano and singing. I don't play as often as I should, but if given the time, I would be content to sit and play for hours. I love to sing in the ward choir, too. It nourishes my soul. Music is so powerful.

15. Going to musicals and plays with Matt and the kids. I am so grateful to have a husband who loves this kind of stuff as much as I do. This year we tried to hit as many of the high school productions as possible. Unfortunately many of them play at the same time. We took all four kids to see "Les Mis" at Taylorsville HS. Yes, even my 5 year old sat through the three hour performance. We also went to "Beauty and the Beast" at Highland HS. The kids enjoyed this one more, even though the singing and acting was far better at Taylorsville. We've enjoyed "The Scarlet Pimpernel" at Hale Center Theatre as a family. LOVE IT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dearest Aubree...

Dates with the Kids

Ode to the Birthday Boy!