Aubree's Dance Studio and Candy Shoppe

Yes, I added the fancy ending on the word, "Shoppe." I feel like it looks cuter that way.

I love my sweet, sweet Aubree girl. Even in the midst of emotional roller coasters and pre-teen outbursts, she makes my days happy. I am so grateful to have her as my daughter.

Aubree (11) is very creative, and has an entrepreneur spirit about her, which thrills me and kills me, all at the same time. I will explain...

Imagine my surprise when, as a 7 year old, Aubree and her little friend decided to run a neighborhood carnival. The mom's thought the hours of planning throughout the summer would fizzle just in time for school to start, but oh no... those girls were determined to have a neighborhood carnival. We finally supported them by helping them make invitations and setting aside an evening for the big event. Lo and behold, they had quite a turn-out -- so many nice neighbors who were willing to spend their allowance playing Ring Toss, getting their faces painted, and shooting hoops. The girls hired their brothers as "workers," and even shared a little of their profits. The mom's made treats, but kept track of our expenses to get reimbursed. (We thought it would be a great math lesson learning about expenses and net profit.) We were a little embarrassed when those 7 year olds walked away with $30 bucks each. (And that was their net profit!)

Well, maybe that experience gave her the bug. I don't know. Here are the business ventures Aubree has put forth over the past five years: Lemonade stands, Cotton Candy and Snow Cone Stands, Dance Lessons for the little neighbor girls (in my basement), foot massages, teaching violin to neighbor friends, card making, bath salts making and sales, bake sales, neighborhood carnivals (the aforementioned one and one the following year when all the money went to Primary Children's Hospital.) She has even tried to do a Day Care in my basement. (That one got nixed!)

Her most recent business dream... to purchase the large building up the street and have a dance studio in the basement and a candy shoppe on the main floor. It is a large building, too. It is currently for sale. Here is my recent conversation with Aubree:
A: Mom, I think I know what I'd love for Christmas.
M: What's that, Aubree?
A: Well, do you think you and dad could buy that building up the street so I can have my dance studio?
M: (Silence)
A: Mom?
M: Um, Aubree, how much do you think that building costs?
A: Oh, I don't know, but it could count for my birthday, too.
M: Well, since that building probably costs more than our house, I don't think that will work.
A: It costs more than our house?
M: Yep.
A: Do you think they give discounts for kids?

Fast forward to a few weeks later... after hearing about this dance studio for quite some time, I finally lost my patience. Of course every parent wants to give their kids all they can to make their hopes and dreams come true. It's hard to tell your kid that you just aren't as wealthy as they hoped you'd be. Anyway, we were driving to school and Aubree started talking about her building again. In fact, every time we drove past it all the kids would say, "There's Aubree's dance studio." Finally I had had it. I had to put a dose of reality in this kid's brain. As we drove past, I picked up my phone and called the agent who was selling the building. I asked Craig to give me a call back, as I would like to know how much his building cost.

Craig called me back. He said he was only asking a mere $995,000 for the building. "It does have 4500 square feet on each floor," he added. I told him "Thanks." He then asked, "So what were you interested in using it for?"

Here goes... "Well," I said sweetly, "My daughter would like to put a dance studio in the basement and a candy shoppe on the main floor."

A pause... "Oh?" said Craig.

"Yes," I said. "She's 11 years old. She's also wondering if you give discounts to children."

Craig started to get my sarcasm. He was very nice. He told me that I shouldn't discourage my child's dream and that when he was a little boy he had dreams, too. His even came true. (I had a hard time not asking if his dream was to be a commercial real estate agent and sell overpriced buildings, but I decided to just keep my mouth shut.)

Anyway, we still call the building "Aubree's Dance Studio," but I don't think anyone is buying it for her anytime soon.

Ho hum... we can all dream of getting a million dollars to make our real dreams come true, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dates with the Kids

The Story of the Patient Man

Funny Kids