Bawling to the Pediatrician

Today I took Caleb in for his 5-year-old check up and kindergarten shots. The doctor asked Caleb what he wanted to do when he grew up. Caleb said, "Play video games." Nice! Then our pediatrician said, "Wow, your baby is starting kindergarten. It seems like just yesterday he was in here as a newborn."

Out of nowhere, I just started bawling. I didn't even try to hide it.

Yep, I sat there and wiped tears as they rolled down my cheeks and our nice doctor talked about how he feels the same way with his children starting to leave home.

Then I started crying harder as I thought about them growing into teenagers and then adults. Sheesh, parenting adult children scares the heck out of me. Then you have very little influence and the best you can do is pray for them. Plus, then they start to realize how weird you really are. And then you start to age and get even more quirky... I digress...

I told the doc how people tell you over and over again, "Enjoy them when they're young." Or they say, "They grow up so fast." But no one can really appreciate it all until they're there. Then one day you look back as your baby gets poked with needles for his kindergarten immunizations and you remember that 13 years ago you were interviewing this guy to see if he should be your pediatrician for your first baby, yet to be born.

I guess the moral of the story for me, is to not let the time get away from me again. From this day forward I will cherish tucking them in bed and tickling their backs. I will hug them and try to remember where the top of their head hits. I will listen to every word they say and be grateful for every story they tell. Someday they won't be living in my house anymore. I plan to have fresh paint and new carpet, no lightsaber dings in the walls, no mud on the carpet, but I will certainly be missing my babies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dearest Aubree...

Dates with the Kids

Funny Kids