Out of the mouth of babes...

This past Sunday I taught the Relief Society lesson at church. My lesson was from Elder Renlund's talk at General Conference. http://http//www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-31,00.html

We talked about working to keep our hearts from becoming hardened. During the lesson I asked Aubree to play "I am a Child of God" on her violin. I prefaced this with a story from her hospital days. After Aubree was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and had gone through her second brain surgery, she had lost the ability to walk or even sit up. She was 2, and would lay in her hospital bed and often sing, "I am a Child of God."

"I am a Child of God, and He has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday."

That song forever reminds me that sometimes we have trials to help us keep our hearts softened. It is our choice to either allow those trials to harden our hearts, or to let them be reminders of why we are here on this earth.

Later Sunday evening, we were doing our scripture study as a family. We read the story in the New Testament of how Jesus healed the blind man. Some people thought the man was born blind because he was wicked, or his parents were. Jesus taught that sometimes he gives people challenges so that he can heal them and help others increase their faith in Jesus.

As I was tucking Aubree in, she said, "Mom, you know the story we just read about the blind man?" Then she continued, "I think I know why Heavenly Father gave me a brain tumor. I think it was so that He could heal me to teach other people about Him."

I shared this incident with Matt and we both cried. We think Aubree is right. We think that we are those "other people" who needed to learn more about Him through this experience.

I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth today. It was taken away for many years, but Joseph Smith restored it in these latter days. Because of that, we also have a living prophet on the earth. His name is Thomas Monson and he leads our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know we are on this earth to be tried and tested, and to receive bodies. Someday, after we die, our bodies will be resurrected and we will all live again! I am grateful to know this, because it helps me get through my daily challenges and struggles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dearest Aubree...

Dates with the Kids

Funny Kids