Changing the world...one school rule at a time

For the past couple of years I have heard complaints from my kids about the Principal's lunch rule. The rule says that you have to sit down as you get your food and cannot save seats for your friends. My kids call it "Assigned Seating."

"Oh, Mom," Aubree (10) has said, "can't you PLEEEEASE talk to the Principal?"

She argues that lunch should be her time to be social, chat amongst friends, and enjoy her break from school work. I have to agree with her. After months of complaints, I finally told her that I had to "choose my battles" with the school. I was not willing to go to bat for her on that issue. I had already fought for water to be served in the cafeteria, a bus to take neighbor kids to school, and other assorted items. I finally told her, "Either stop complaining, or do something about it."

Well, imagine my surprise (and delight) when she came home from school a few weeks ago with a petition -- complete with a clipboard. She wrote a letter and was having kids in all grades sign her petition to get rid of assigned seating. She even had a few teachers sign.

Her teacher had loaned her the clipboard and even arranged a meeting with the Principal. She was so nervous the night before her meeting with him.

After a pleasant discussion, the Principal agreed to let the fifth and sixth grade students "try it out." As the kids lined up for lunch, he announced to them that they would get to sit wherever they wanted, thanks to Aubree. He also warned them that if they couldn't "handle" it, he would take the privilege away.

Aubree was ecstatic! Several other petitions started circulating later in the week from other kids. (I think something about pop in the drinking fountains or no homework, or something?? LOL! Oh wait, maybe I'm confusing campaign promises...) She was kind of bummed because kids in other grades signed her petition and the privilege did not extend to them.

Today Aubree came home and said the kids were in danger of losing the privilege. It was starting to get noisy and kids were getting rambunctious. She hopes the Principal doesn't have a chance to peek in the lunchroom.

I am so proud of her for taking the initiative for fight for something she felt strongly about. She made a difference and has now learned that anyone can. I wish all adults understood this concept. People don't seem to fight anymore for the things they feel strongly about. We are all getting lazy, chicken, or whatever. It is so sad! Here is to my renewed effort to fight for the things I feel strongly about -- inappropriate magazines being covered at the grocery store, dangerous chemicals being removed from our foods, the best education for our children, electing good leaders who are honest. Anyone can have an impact and make a difference if they speak up!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dearest Aubree...

Dates with the Kids

Easter Eggs and Aubree's Antics